Not the fiction part I thought I would choose but a few lines badly translated by me from my dutch version of the book, by Erich Fromm: The Art of Loving. After speaking about the heart last time, the topic 'love' seemed to fit:
"Would it be possible that merly those things are seen as worthy (of value) to learn, are the things that enable us to accumulate possesions and esteem?
And that learning to love , since it is -"only"- of use for the soul, is seen as non-useful in our modern society and therefor it is seen as a luxary, something we shouldn't put much energy in ?"
I also read the same book; 'the art of loving' by Fromm. I remember that it's a truly insightful book.
ReplyDelete"Learning to love is something only of use for the soul, is seen as non-useful in our modern society"...mmm... it's difficult to interpret this sentence. Yes, we do not earn any money by loving someone/something, but by loving someone/ something, we gain great energy and power. Yet, it is true that love is not something that simply brings us joy and pleasure.. it needs a lot of effort and work, too.
hey Keiko great you read the book and Bertina as wel as you said it seems to be "a classic" :-)! He posed the question I posted, to point out what you mention here; that there is a huge value if we 'return' to values in humanistic terms and not in economical terms. Yes like you say, it is about effort and ..he shows what and how. Really insightfull.
ReplyDelete